Teams of tax investigators are to target particular trades in specific geographical areas. A typical taskforce team will include specialists to cover the taxes the business pays, which include VAT, PAYE, Self-Assessments and corporation tax. HMRC plans to have over 30 taskforce teams operating round the country by April 2013.
We have summarised below the target areas.
- London: Markets, property rentals, property transactions, restaurants, fraudulent repayments
- South West: Restaurants, motor trade, fast food outlets
- South East: Overdue tax returns
- Midlands: Taxi firms, restaurants
- East Anglia: Property rentals
- North East: Property rentals, motor trade
- North West: Restaurants, construction, landlords
- Yorkshire: Taxi firms, motor trade
- Nottinghamshire: Motor trade
- Northern Ireland: Hair and beauty
- Scotland: Pubs & nightclubs, fast food outlets, restaurants, scrap metal dealers, landlords
- South Wales: Restaurants, motor trade
- North Wales: Restaurants, construction, landlords
HMRC will arrange a time to visit the business and inspect the records, either by phone or letter. Please tell us as soon as you get a letter or call to arrange this meeting, then, if we can speak to the officer at this stage we may be able to limit the scope of the visit.